Friday, October 16, 2015

Brain Teasers

One of the aspects of my job that I dearly love is teaching one of our Step Up classes (Gifted program). I work with our sixth grade group and so enjoy still being able to teach. 

We begin our class each day with some type of brain challenge/mind teaser/lateral thinking skill. Today, I put this problem on the board:


The challenge was that each spoke had a number that denotes how many connections it had. You have to draw the connections so that all spokes match their number and all end up connected. This stumped several students because they were overthinking it!

Here is the answer to the challenge below:


It is truly exciting to watch students try to problem solve and be challenged academically. Many of them are used to knowing all the answers quickly. I want to not only encourage a great work ethic, but foster a love of inquiry, creativity and curiosity in my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment